Friday, 18 September 2009

London, baby!

Finally before Robin chops my head off virtually, here goes my first post on our new life blog.

Is there a life beyond CD? - people keep asking
There is! And for me it's called London.


After this incredible one-year experience in Brussels, still dizzy and overwhelmed with the striking emotions of the last days, I did not make my life easy in returning home, in spite of the nice Brussels-Trieste flight connection.
Instead, the journey turned out to be a tiny bit more articulated. That's how it looked like: Charleroi-Manchester-London-Bristol-Trieste. Total cost: 2 euro + 10 pounds. If you want to make out of travelscanning a profession there's no better internship than a year in the CD, believe me!

Still. Why so much trouble, involving more sleepless nights, Manchester rain, stinky coaches, oh-so-crazy-and-tiring reunions with old pals - which then of course, once in Trieste, contributed to lead to overexhaustion, sickness and sleeping out in one week all the unslept hours of the year?

Because I had to stop by in England and figure out my London life. And I did!

University: got accepted to both masters studies of my fancy. Which one to choose? A good talk with an old friend of mine swept all my doubts away and I gladly went for the more theoretical, more prestigious, just-what-I-want-to-do course. It's not the moment to be scared out by youth unemployment. Or it is. But the CD thaught me I'm unbreakable, almost no emotional pain reaches my heart no longer. Practicalities will be sorted out.

Accomodation: after 2+2 full days of quest and a dozen or two of visited accomodations in any part of the city, I was beginning to think I never find 'The' place in that jungle, and about to pay for the deposit of a bedsit whose room, lodger, location, price, was fairly convinced about. But - naaah. Not exactly something that spoke to my heart in the right way (nor it did to my wallet).
But the best, as usual, comes unexpected, and my cousin arranged me a meeting two hours before my departure. A friend's aunt, retired film director, is looking for a lodger. Let's have a look. Location, reaaally nice. Residential area in the green, but well connected. I ring the bell, and a small black dog greets me barking her voice out, me melting (my dog is what I miss the most abroad). Then here she comes, Sue. Her friend John is there, not a posh appearance but definitely a gentle soul inside there ("everbody tells me 'Sue be careful' when they see him, but hey, I pick my friends on my own!"). We get along immediately, drink coffee and speak about movies, peoples in the Balkans, Catholicism in Ireland.
It is not her in the need of a lodger, but her really nice daughter, door next to hers. Oh, the room is lovely, just as big as needed, the kitchen adorable, there is even a living room (ultimate luxury!). Did I mention that the price is the lowest?

In the meantime, I keep finding out that so many nice people I know are coming to live in my colourful, fashionable, free, inspiring, elected city this year.

That's how I left England... with the feeling to be going towards exactly what I wanted to do. And with a great desire to live my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment